Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesLog inRegister

SLA Prototyping

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
admin
Admin

SLA Prototyping Empty
PostSubject: SLA Prototyping   SLA Prototyping EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 4:29 pm

What is an SLA prototype?
Do I need a CAD drawing to get one done?

If I want a prototype and just can't seem to make it myself, is this a good way to go?
Back to top Go down
StephenBozzone

StephenBozzone

SLA Prototyping Empty
PostSubject: Re: SLA Prototyping   SLA Prototyping EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 6:43 pm

Tania Reynaert wrote:
What is an SLA prototype?
Do I need a CAD drawing to get one done?

If I want a prototype and just can't seem to make it myself, is this a good way to go?

Great question. SLA stands for stereo lithography apparatus. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereo_lithography

A SLA prototype is a type of "rapid prototype" that can be made quickly and inexpensively. SLA parts are usually used to prove out injection molded designs. SLA parts are made layer by layer from a liquid polymer resin that is cured by a laser.

Small parts can be made in less than 24 hrs and usually cost around $200 and up. SLA is good for intricate designs and the parts can be sanded and painted to look like the real thing.

You need a 3-D CAD model to get one done. The CAD model is converted to a format the SLA machine can read. I have 3-D CAD software for my business and I can give folks an Inventor's Mentors Library discount.

For some designs that you cant prototype with clay, wood or REN foam, SLA is not inexpensive but you'll be happy with the results. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
admin
Admin

SLA Prototyping Empty
PostSubject: Re: SLA Prototyping   SLA Prototyping EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 8:38 pm

Thanks Stephen! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

SLA Prototyping Empty
PostSubject: Re: SLA Prototyping   SLA Prototyping Empty

Back to top Go down

SLA Prototyping
Page 1 of 1