Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesLog inRegister

Mechanical Prototyping basics…. What type of CAD do you need!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Douglas S. Wozniak

Douglas S. Wozniak

Mechanical Prototyping basics…. What type of CAD do you need! Empty
PostSubject: Mechanical Prototyping basics…. What type of CAD do you need!   Mechanical Prototyping basics…. What type of CAD do you need! EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 7:45 pm

All Prototype Company’s and/or Machine shops today will require a 3D graphic drawing, to even quote a job.

Mechanical prototypes must be a wireframe drawing, some machines can use solid surface 3D graphic, example: CNC Lathe.

What does matter is the type of file they can use. The DXF or IGES files are the most common, but others can be used too. (Acad, Ge3, ect.)

Having only #1 prototype made will be quite expensive. Usually the more you order the less they cost. This is due to the fact that each machine requires a set up time, and in most cases this can take up to an hour or less.

The best way to start is by trying to create one yourself, it does not have to be made out of the material you really want, but made out of a mockup material. This can be made from wax, clay or wood. The Auto industry always creates there new designs in clay first so they can make changes in the looks and/or functionality.

Once you have your mockup created, you may want to have copies made. Spin casting is the best way to create multiple copies of a soft metal alloy product. Milling is the fastest way to create multiple copies of steel, Stainless steel, Brass. Ect. You get a clean finish and stable dimensional product; you can have your item finished in different ways.

Surface Finishes
• Silk Screening
• Electroplating
• Metal Brushing
• Surface Grinding
• Buff Polishing
• Bead Blasting
• Vibratory Finishing
• Powder Coating
• Anodizing
• Black Oxide

Make sure your prototype works, fits, and is functional as you want. Then you can go on to all the other parts of selling you idea to the big companies.
Back to top Go down
rjward

rjward

PostSubject: Re: Mechanical Prototyping basics…. What type of CAD do you need!   Mechanical Prototyping basics…. What type of CAD do you need! EmptyThu Feb 18, 2010 2:13 am

Should a .dwg from autocad work? or do I need to convert to something else?
Back to top Go down
Douglas S. Wozniak

Douglas S. Wozniak

PostSubject: Re: Mechanical Prototyping basics…. What type of CAD do you need!   Mechanical Prototyping basics…. What type of CAD do you need! EmptyThu Feb 18, 2010 6:22 pm

Re: Mechanical Prototyping basics…. What type of CAD do you need!

Post rjward Today at 1:13 am
Should a .dwg from autocad work? or do I need to convert to something else?

rjward:

The question is unclear, a .DWG file can be used in several different programs. Example: Solid works, Auto Cad, & Coral Draw ect. If you are asking what type of file do you need to send to a Machine Shop to have them make your prototype. Then you need to contact them and find out what type they require to load into their CAD/CAM program. I our case we would much rather have .IGES files to load into Master Cam, and in this way we have little to change and we can then write the tool path. A friend and Business associate of mine; runs a CNC Lathe and he only wants .DXF files or any type of Master Cam file. So if you require more info please give me as much information as you can.

Thanks for your question.
Back to top Go down
rjward

rjward

PostSubject: Re: Mechanical Prototyping basics…. What type of CAD do you need!   Mechanical Prototyping basics…. What type of CAD do you need! EmptyThu Feb 18, 2010 6:35 pm

I run Autocad and that gives me .dwg files. I was wondering if I needed to convert these files into something else. If so, can Autcad do that or do I need a different program for the conversion? If I do, is it simple or is there a learning curve to doing conversions?
Back to top Go down
Douglas S. Wozniak

Douglas S. Wozniak

PostSubject: Re: Mechanical Prototyping basics…. What type of CAD do you need!   Mechanical Prototyping basics…. What type of CAD do you need! EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 1:16 pm

rjward wrote:
I run Autocad and that gives me .dwg files. I was wondering if I needed to convert these files into something else. If so, can Autcad do that or do I need a different program for the conversion? If I do, is it simple or is there a learning curve to doing conversions?

Here again it is determined by what you are trying to accomplish. In most cases you don't have too.
Check with the company you are dealing with. Usually they will have a way to convert it.

But if you are trying to run your own machining company, you will need a way to communicate between platforms. SolidWorks can import .DWG files, and many others can do the same.

AutoCad does have a converter (but I believe that it is a plug-in). You can check the documentation under Help. or you can check with AutoDesk.com

Here is the link to docummentation at AutoDesk.
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=9339357

Trying to use any of these programs always have a very long learning curve, in most cases if you have the opportunity to take a class or training on them do so.

You can check this forum site link for ways to convert formates. http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19346

Doug
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mechanical Prototyping basics…. What type of CAD do you need!   Mechanical Prototyping basics…. What type of CAD do you need! Empty

Back to top Go down

Mechanical Prototyping basics…. What type of CAD do you need!
Page 1 of 1