Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesLog inRegister

Can I make Prototypes from other products?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Ted Meyers

Ted Meyers

Can I make Prototypes from other products? Empty
PostSubject: Can I make Prototypes from other products?   Can I make Prototypes from other products? EmptySat May 30, 2009 3:56 pm

When I make a prototype, can I cut up other retail products and use the parts to make my product?. Same with the packaging, can I take other products packaging and use it to “mock-up” my packaging?

Thanks

Ted
Back to top Go down
StephenBozzone

StephenBozzone

PostSubject: Re: Can I make Prototypes from other products?   Can I make Prototypes from other products? EmptySat May 30, 2009 8:09 pm

Ted,

By all means yes. I've done this plenty of times. Anything you can do to save time and money is usually a good idea. The goal of a prototype to prove out the concept and communicate the function to others. As you progress, the prototypes get more refined and more presentable.

You may find that the idea does not work as planned and you just saved yourself some money. Sometimes my initial prototype shows serious flasw and it leads me to a re-design that is even better than the original.

Here is a great site to learn how to make stuff, it's called MAKE. It is also a magazine. Check it out: http://www.makezine.com/

As for packaging, yes also. I used to work with an industrial designer who would print new artwork and attach it to an existing retail box. I read on Mark Reyland's blog where he bought some windchimes just so he could use the packaging. http://inventoropinion.blogspot.com/2009/03/shopping-for-wind-chimes.html

Not too many rules here. Have fun with it and get creative.

Last edited by StephenBozzone on Sat May 30, 2009 8:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Ted Meyers

Ted Meyers

PostSubject: Re: Can I make Prototypes from other products?   Can I make Prototypes from other products? EmptySat May 30, 2009 8:14 pm

Thank you so much Stephen, it is great to have a place where you can get the information from those who really know.

I read that wind chime story on Mark's blog too. It was really funny. He has some great information on there.

Thanks Again

Ted
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can I make Prototypes from other products?   Can I make Prototypes from other products? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can I make Prototypes from other products?
Page 1 of 1