Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesLog inRegister

Homework First!

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Homework First! Empty
PostSubject: Homework First!   Homework First! EmptySun May 10, 2009 12:22 am

I get it: when you’re starting out, when you’ve just come up with an idea or are looking at new business opportunities, you’re excited. We all have to start somewhere. And usually that start is at the beginning. But do your homework first! I understand that when we’re younger, we usually think we know it all. But I’ve seen so many mistakes from individuals who won’t pick up the phone, who won’t contact people in an industry that know so much more than they do.

Ask questions! Get to know the veterans! Temporarily throw your ego into a box, and shut it. Listen to people who have been around the block a few times. You may be eager to put a stamp on your new project or organization or group or whatever – great. But if your ego and your eagerness result in hurrying or ignoring advice from seasoned professionals, you’re hurting yourself.

You certainly don’t have to take the advice of others. But at the very least, truly listen to it! It doesn’t matter if your intentions are good. You may seriously be hurting your chances if you hurry through these first steps. There are so many good resources out there. Please use them. I love it when people are excited – but slow down! Get good advice before you move forward (even if you decided to throw it out the window).

Stephen keys
Back to top Go down

Homework First!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Questions About Inventing :: Where Should I Start?-
Jump to: