Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesLog inRegister

What can I do while waiting for the patent?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
whoopycat

whoopycat

What can I do while waiting for the patent? Empty
PostSubject: What can I do while waiting for the patent?   What can I do while waiting for the patent? EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 11:48 am

just wondering what I can do safely while waiting for my patent? I heard it could take years! Once I submitted it am I locked in? can I go forward in dealing with manufactures etc... and does it really take years? thank you Shocked
Back to top Go down
Troy Robison

Troy Robison

PostSubject: Re: What can I do while waiting for the patent?   What can I do while waiting for the patent? EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 2:40 pm

whoopycat wrote:
just wondering what I can do safely while waiting for my patent? I heard it could take years! Once I submitted it am I locked in? can I go forward in dealing with manufactures etc... and does it really take years? thank you Shocked

W.C, first off your question should be What can I do safely while waiting to see if my patent application is granted.. On think the average time line for an application to be examined is between 19 to 24 months. Depending on what the examiner kicks back for prior art and how quick your able to respond back will determine how long it take to get the patent allowance. Anything Ive ever done has taken 2 to 2.5 yrs for allowance. I did have one issue in less than 2 yrs.
I read the USPTO is working to improve there system and get patent apps through much faster,,,,who knows if that will ever happen.
When you ask about being locked in I assume your talking about patending. Your invention is patent pending after your application is accepted by the USPTO.
You can start approaching companys safely with patent pending status. You want to get the company to sign a NDA if you can. Alot of companys wont sign one. Thats your choice if you decide to introduce your idea without it....Ive done it many times in the past, leaving a good paper trail to follow just in case something goes wrong. Keep a good inventors journal also will help, its your best defense.
One thing you need to remember, what if a company decides to license your invention and your patent application get a final rejection ( No patent approval). How will you deal with the license company.
I suggest you spend some time on the USPTO web site in the Q&A section, theres alot of great info to be had....

http://www.uspto.gov/faq/patents.jsp

http://www.gaebler.com/How-Long-Does-It-Take-to-Get-a-Patent.htm
Back to top Go down
whoopycat

whoopycat

PostSubject: Thanx very much Mr. Robison   What can I do while waiting for the patent? EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 9:36 am

good info. final rejection kinda scares me! do you know any agents with ties to procter & gamble or johnson & johnson or jergens or gold bond or any lotion co.? thanx whoopycat.
Back to top Go down
Troy Robison

Troy Robison

PostSubject: Re: What can I do while waiting for the patent?   What can I do while waiting for the patent? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 12:06 pm

WC, I dont know any contacts for the companys. Maybe some of the other mentors will have some.
Back to top Go down
whoopycat

whoopycat

PostSubject: thank you very much   What can I do while waiting for the patent? EmptySat Feb 13, 2010 4:55 pm

thanx for the info.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What can I do while waiting for the patent?   What can I do while waiting for the patent? Empty

Back to top Go down

What can I do while waiting for the patent?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Patents Trademarks and Copyrights :: Trade Marks and Copyrights-
Jump to: