Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesLog inRegister

poorman patant?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
whoopycat

whoopycat

poorman patant? Empty
PostSubject: poorman patant?   poorman patant? EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 11:05 am

hello people,new guy here,I have an invention that im in the middle of developing.once i get the 3d-cad, submit it to a plastic injection moulding co. i want to give a sample to my friends for critical review.When do i get a patant? should i?does a poorman patant do any thing?( i find your site very insteresting!) thanx
Back to top Go down
Troy Robison

Troy Robison

poorman patant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: poorman patant?   poorman patant? EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 1:45 pm

whoopycat wrote:
hello people,new guy here,I have an invention that im in the middle of developing.once i get the 3d-cad, submit it to a plastic injection moulding co. i want to give a sample to my friends for critical review.When do i get a patant? should i?does a poorman patant do any thing?( i find your site very insteresting!) thanx

WC, Have you done any searching to see if theres anything else out there similar to your idea. Most inventors dont put enough time and effort into a search. You would be suprised how many producst that never made it to retail that have patents or not.

Have the injection mold company and anyone else you show sign a (NDA )
non-disclosure agreement. Make sure you keep a good log in a inventors journal of everything you do if you havent yet.
You can let your friends evaluate your idea if you want to. I would suggest having others out side your friends do an evaluation also. Friends seem to always say oh yea this is a great idea you need to patent it. That the worse thing you can do, its your money not theres that gets spent.
Be smart search the living daylights out of your idea to see whats out there like it. Then make the decision to file a provisional patent application, its only $110.00. After you file you have patent pending stutus and protection for 12 months.
Roger Brown's big on not filing for patent protection but he's been doing it for a long time and knows how to cover his butt in numerous ways.

Look at some of the links below theres good info for the novice inventor..

Good Luck
Gizmo

http://www.idearights.com/invtntbk.htm

http://books.google.com/books?

id=5KGN1yPzPa8C&printsec=frontcover&dq=Patent+It+Yourself,+Google+Books.+PPA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

http://www.edisoninventors.org/articles_beginners.htm
Back to top Go down
Troy Robison

Troy Robison

poorman patant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: poorman patant?   poorman patant? EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 3:13 pm

Back to top Go down
whoopycat

whoopycat

poorman patant? Empty
PostSubject: thanx very much for the info   poorman patant? EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 10:40 am

i think i will hire a professional searcher, and get NDA forms
Back to top Go down
former mentor

poorman patant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: poorman patant?   poorman patant? EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 2:18 pm

Whoopy Cat

Gizmo is 100% correct, what I would add is PLEASE don't send money to an injection mold company before you have your idea evaluated for it's market viability.
Back to top Go down
coty

coty

poorman patant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: poorman patant?   poorman patant? EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 4:00 am

Hi, I'm new here too! Some times when you just start out it's alot to take in when people just give you web sites and info to read. Just remember take your time and read over it well. This is not a hurry up game. I feel like I have alot to learn before I will ever get my product out there. It's alot to it but don't throw your hands up in the air it may take years. I hope one day I will understand how to do all of this my self. Do I have to make a professional prototype before I try to show it to companies or will they help me? Can I just go in there with my rough prototype? Is there anyone out there that will help you get your product marketed without alot of money?
Back to top Go down
former mentor

poorman patant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: poorman patant?   poorman patant? EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 10:12 pm

Hi Coty,

You have a great attitude young man – and that’s ½ the battle.
To answer your question, no – you don’t have to have a professional level prototype done before you approach a company. What you do have to have done is your homework about the market, the price, the comparable products in the market and have tried your best to prove your invention actually works.

If someone walked into my office with a well done prototype, but didn’t have the rest of the picture, I wouldn’t give them the time of day. BUT if someone walked in with a good handle on the process, an understanding of the market, and clearly having done their homework – even with a hand built prototype I would sit down with them all day and figure it out.

You get respect from the professionals in this industry by trying really hard, not by having the best model, or the coolest pictures. Just by trying to understand their world before you walk in their conference room.

Keep that attitude just the way you have it Cody – and spend time learning.

Last edited by Mark T Reyland on Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
coty

coty

poorman patant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: poorman patant?   poorman patant? EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 12:56 am

thanks for the insight. It's good to know I don't have to spend all that money on getting someone to build me a prototype.
Back to top Go down
coty

coty

poorman patant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: poorman patant?   poorman patant? EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 10:19 pm

Gizmo,
Hey it's good to see you! Yes I'm using the book and getting better everyday. All the information you told me to read about helped me out alot. I was wondering if maybe you could look at an email I got the other day. I think this company is interested in my product but they really didn't make it quit clear enough for me. They want to know what all I'm doing. I hesitate to give them too much info only because I haven't delt with them much.
Back to top Go down
Troy Robison

Troy Robison

poorman patant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: poorman patant?   poorman patant? EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 6:59 am

Coty. glad to here your reading the material I suggested. Sure I will read the email. Look in your inbox my personal emails in there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

poorman patant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: poorman patant?   poorman patant? Empty

Back to top Go down

poorman patant?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Questions About Inventing :: Steps to Inventing a Retail Product-
Jump to: