Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesLog inRegister

How do I pick the right colors and wording for my product??

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
shrinkins

How do I pick the right colors and wording for my product?? Empty
PostSubject: How do I pick the right colors and wording for my product??   How do I pick the right colors and wording for my product?? EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 8:46 am

How do I know the right size for my POP countertop display ( I had thought no larger than 18" wide and 20" high.) Is this a good guide for pharmacies?
Also, colors on the packaging, I am making myself sick about doing wrong. I don't have a lot to look at in pharmacies, that is the same type of product as mine.
My flyers, website and things are black with bright colors on it.

Thanks, Tracie Wood

www.shrinkins.com
"Skin it with a smile!"
Back to top Go down
former mentor

PostSubject: Re: How do I pick the right colors and wording for my product??   How do I pick the right colors and wording for my product?? EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 8:08 am

Hi Tracie

That’s a good question actually – counter displays vary widely in terms of size because there are so many factors that go into the design.

You have to first start by understanding the two primary levels of retail. What I call the “Small Arc” and the “Large Arc” - in the small arc you are selling into small retailers, boutiques, mom & pops, ..… They really don’t care as much about the specifics of a display since it is much easier for them to find room on the counter for it. That makes it easy on your end, because you have a lot more latitude in the design. The down side is you will sell a few thousand units a year on the small arc, so there isn’t as much money to be made.

On the large arc however, it’s all about the revenue produced by the display. In the end, the large arc buyer doesn’t care what you sell as long as it sells. To figure this out, many retail buyers calculate the footprint of the display (say 12 x 12 inches) divided (/) by the number of units on the display, times (X) the profit margin per unit. This makes the goal to get as many units on the display as possible, and to take of the smallest footprint on the counter. By this time I bet you guessed that since the retailer has a limited amount of counter space, they look for the highest “profit per square foot”. The good news is on the large arc you are going to normally sell 100’s of thousands of units per year and make significantly more money.

All that being said, there are some basic guidelines for a counter display.

- If you have product on both sides of the display it should rotate
- The overall height of a display should not be taller than about five feet from the floor
- The display should have some form of information header
- The display should hold as many units as possible
- It should have as small a footprint as you can make without being unstable

As for your color questions….I’ll give you a hint. All colors evoke emotion, a quick Google search and you will find sites that outline the different emotions evoked by the colors of the packaging. …start there and then go to a retailer and look at other packaging. You will see trends in color and design that may help you drill down a final design for your product.

Good luck with your display, I hope this helped.
Back to top Go down
shrinkins

PostSubject: Re: How do I pick the right colors and wording for my product??   How do I pick the right colors and wording for my product?? EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 7:51 pm

Thank you so much for your help! I have tweaked my POP design to follow your guidelines. I am also changing one of my main colors after doing a search on colors as you suggested.
I am still worried about the wording on the display. I know it should be short and sweet to grab their attention, but are there any other guidelines I should follow?

Thanks, Tracie Wood

www.shrinkins.com
"Skin it with a smile!"
Back to top Go down
former mentor

PostSubject: Re: How do I pick the right colors and wording for my product??   How do I pick the right colors and wording for my product?? EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 11:32 am

HI Tracie,

The text on the display is a critical part of the design. In some cases it’s about branding a name, and in others it’s about acclimating a consumer to a product they have never seen before. Either way, there are some simple guidelines to look at.

- Always a READABLE bold text that works well with the design.

- One or two words in a larger font and subtext in a smaller font (don’t write a book! – just enough words to get the point across)

- No more than 2 fonts

- Try to make the main title readable from about 5 feet away

Hope this helps….
Back to top Go down
shrinkins

PostSubject: Wording   How do I pick the right colors and wording for my product?? EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 3:06 pm

Thanks so much for your help. I cannot tell you how hard it's been doing this on my own. I second guess myself, read, re-read and still I worry I will do it wrong and waste alot of money.

Thanks so much for taking the time for me,

Tracie Wood

www.shrinkins.com
"Skin it with a smile!"www.shrinkins.com
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do I pick the right colors and wording for my product??   How do I pick the right colors and wording for my product?? Empty

Back to top Go down

How do I pick the right colors and wording for my product??
Page 1 of 1