Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesLog inRegister

Is it true that a co-inventor has equal ownership?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Ted Meyers

Ted Meyers

Is it true that a co-inventor has equal ownership? Empty
PostSubject: Is it true that a co-inventor has equal ownership?   Is it true that a co-inventor has equal ownership? EmptySat May 30, 2009 8:17 pm

Is it true that a co-inventor has equal ownership in a patent? Not like 50/50 but each person has an equal 100% share. How does that work?

Ted
Back to top Go down
Bill Goldblatt

Bill Goldblatt

Is it true that a co-inventor has equal ownership? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it true that a co-inventor has equal ownership?   Is it true that a co-inventor has equal ownership? EmptyMon Jun 01, 2009 7:45 pm

This is pretty much true, where there is no assignment or ownership agreement (written or, at times, implied) in place. Each inventor has rights to the patent and can do whatever they want with those rights. i.e. say we have Inventors A & B. Inventor A can license his rights to the patent without Inventor B's approval. Inventor B however still, also, maintains rights to the patent.

I am almost sure that is how it works. If I am wrong, I am not very wrong. Its almost besides the point though, anyway...if you are ever in a situation where this worries you, just make sure there is a written partnership/ownership agreement in place or what not.

- Bill
bill@criteriondynamics.com
www.criteriondynamics.com
Back to top Go down

Is it true that a co-inventor has equal ownership?
Page 1 of 1